Ready to join an exceptional team?
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
ScanTech is seeking a Nuclear Engineer to provide nuclear physics and operational support for Electronic Cold-Pasteurization™ (ECP™) of produce as well as company R&D efforts supporting this technology. The successful candidate will be responsible for physics support including MCNP calculations, product dose modeling, assisting with troubleshooting and maintenance of accelerator systems (including trend analysis), and advancing operational reliability by solving a variety of nuclear engineering problems such as those related to high dose materials and radiation damage. This individual will also perform research to collect nuclear data to assist in the development of future applications and designs.
The position of Nuclear Engineer will report to the CTO and will support STS’s engineering and capital projects team. The candidate will be expected to participate in all phases of the project cycle, including but not limited to design, construction, manufacturing, installation, testing, experimentation, commissioning and follow-up support of its operational, manufacturing and research and test facilities on an as needed basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Candidate will work on a broad range of challenging problems involving ECP™ system and facility design. The candidate will also operate and upgrade of ECP™ systems and provide testing and commissioning of new ECP™ systems and R&D toward future ECP™ facilities.
- Interact and assist between the engineering and physics teams
- Provide technical expertise in areas such as the determination of nuclear cross sections, ionizing radiation dosimetry, high and low LET radiation dosimetry, MCNP calculations, shielding design and analysis, evaluation of nuclear data, use of predictive codes and behavior of materials in extreme radiation environments
- Operate, troubleshoot, and maintain ECP™ systems including control systems, power supplies, and associated electronics.
- Write detailed specifications, procedures, and reports to support LINAC development projects
- Assist in ECP™ testing and experiments
- Coordinate and perform R&D activities with technical staff to:
- Understand the nuclear engineering to prepare experiments or tests
- Prepare requirements for shielding and dosimetry
- Assist in the set-up tests and experiments
- Verify that experiments run accordingly to the approved plan and procedures
- Verify that beam/dose delivered is in accordance with requirements
- Enhance the ECP™ system design and performance
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in nuclear engineering, physics or related discipline
- 2- 4 years of experience in designing, building, or operating nuclear facilities or high energy particle systems
- Knowledge of neutron and charged particle beam interactions with matter
- Experience with the application of nuclear model codes such as MCNP6 to solve nuclear engineering problems
- Record of technical excellence and achievement as demonstrated through publications, reports, presentations at scientific meetings and independent research in relevant disciplines
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in safe and responsible handling of highly radioactive and/or hazardous materials
- Demonstrated ability to work within the context of a large team, synthesizing large amounts of technical information to accomplish shared objectives in a productive, collaborative fashion
- Knowledge of radiation detection equipment including expertise in multi-particle spectrometry
- Ability to troubleshoot complex mechanical/electronic systems
- Experience with computer programming and/or databases
- Knowledge of radiation safety and/or experience working with activated and/or contaminated materials
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision while maintaining a high level of efficiency
- Ability to thrive in a challenging, dynamic environment. Must be flexible and quick to adapt to sudden changes and issues
- Outstanding analytical and troubleshooting skills. Able to resolve conflict and drive issues to resolution
- Detail oriented and organized with a strong discipline of adhering to standards
- Ability to cooperate and communicate well with engineering, physics/science, project management and procurement groups
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job
- Pushing, pulling, climbing, and lifting
- Exposure to radiation, electric and magnetic fields
- Gripping with the hands, twisting the trunk or back, crawling, climbing stairs, applying torque with hands or arms, carrying 30+ pounds, lifting 30+ pounds
- Work near sources of ionizing radiation, in confined spaces and around toxic chemicals and carcinogens
- Use of safety shoes or protective footgear, safety glasses or eye protection, gloves or hand protection, headgear or head protection, mask or respirator
- Working overtime or irregular schedules
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter specifically noting the position you are applying for to email@example.com
ScanTech Sciences HQ
4940 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.
Norcross, GA 30071
Rio Grande Valley ECP™ Center
6800 South International Parkway
McAllen, TX 78503