Ready to join an exceptional team?
Instrumentation & Control Systems Engineer
Location: McAllen, Texas
Reports to: Engineering and Maintenance Maanager
Direct and manage the Industrial Instrumentation and Control Systems (I&C) integrity program with full Quality, Environmental, Health and Safety program (QESH) compliance. Analyze and improve plant equipment reliability and integrity to achieve equipment effectiveness at the lowest sustainable cost.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interface with maintenance coordinator to ensure prioritization of work orders, maintenance turn arounds and planned/unplanned outages
- Collaborate with Operations and Maintenance leadership to ensure that equipment inspections are conducted according to agreed-upon schedules
- Analyze and record information from I&C integrity inspections and analyses
- Investigate I&C equipment failures, determine root cause, recommend and oversee appropriate solutions to eliminate / reduce failure
- Ensure that equipment work history is captured and updated
- Design and specify alterations and revisions to improve I&C equipment reliability
- Serve as site subject matter expert for Process Automation and Industrial Control Systems
- Expertise with Automation Systems Software Development for PLCs, HMIs and process data acquisition system (SCADA)
- Willing to maintain and modify existing Automation code base and keep
- Review process data and implement logic and control algorithm changes to improve process control system performance
- Implement Industrial Automation Network changes with the support of the resident IT Systems Engineer
- Develop and update inspection plans as appropriate in accordance with ScanTech Sciences Specifications, industry standards and best practices, and RAGAGEP
- Support the site’s computerized maintenance management software (CMMS) implementation.
- Support ScanTech Sciences central engineering department through the construction, installation, commissioning and project turn over to the running plant
- Actively participate in QESH activities such as inspections, audits, and near miss investigations.
- Support safety reviews (risk assessments and HAZOPs) as needed for continuous improvement projects.
- Required to follow all quality system requirements for position and facility operations
- Required to comply with and ensure all general safety, OSHA, USDA/APHIS, FDA and State of Texas regulations for position and facility operations
- Must be willing to work overtime weekends, holidays and varying shifts as needed
- Drive the site Reliability program. This includes:
- Support recurring reliability meetings
- Identify problematic equipment and develop solutions to correct issues
- Ensure action items are managed to closure
- Review I&C equipment history, identify failure trends, and develop corrective actions to improve life cycle
- Record and review reliability KPIs [e.g. mean time between failure (MTBF)]
- Troubleshoot equipment problems using process designs and equipment specifications to ensure that equipment is operating as intended
- Review history to determine MTBF for critical and problematic equipment
- Direct the site Preventive/Predictive maintenance program. This includes:
- Perform RCM and FMEA analyses on critical I&C equipment
- Ongoing assessment and development of Preventative/Predictive Maintenance programs for critical mechanical and rotating equipment
- Stay abreast of and evaluate new methodologies, work practices, equipment/machinery technology, etc. for application and use within the plant
- Implement maintenance-driven small and large capital projects
- Provide technical support to field maintenance as required to resolve mechanical, electrical, instrumentation or controls problems
- Ensure that all maintenance work is performed in accordance with ScanTech Sciences engineering standards and to the highest quality
- Possess a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an ABET accredited institution
- Has 5-10 years of combined experience supporting plant operations, leading continuous improvement, capital projects, construction, installation and start-up of process equipment
- Is familiar with and able to cite applicable NFPA NEC (70), 70e, 70b, OSHA regulations, ANSI NETA, ISA and IEEE standards
- Advanced degrees (MSEE, etc.) and certifications (PE) will be considered as years of experience
- Expertise with Automation Systems Software Development on platforms such as Siemens, Allen Bradly or equivalent
- Experience with CADD tools (AutoCad, etc.) and Engineering Document Management (EDM) software
- Experience with CMMS
- Familiarity with Project Management Fundamentals, Six Sigma and RCM is a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Technical In-depth knowledge of industrial power systems
- Technical In-depth knowledge of industrial instrumentation and control systems
- Has process knowledge of Chilled Water, Compressed Air, Nitrogen Generation, and Vacuum systems, Refrigeration/HVAC, and mechanical conveyance system for fixed and rotating equipment
- Can work with the engineering and maintenance team in the identification and selection of process instrumentation and control system components
- Demonstrated experience with in continuous improvement and RCM
- Can identify opportunities to improve plant performance and specify requirements to develop designs which are feasible from a constructibility/supportability standpoint
- Can work with both internal and external suppliers to implement plant changes and update/modify record drawings and documents accordingly
- Has experience reading, maintaining and creating piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) and process flow diagrams (PFDs)
- Excellent degree of knowledge of industrial IT and Networking
- Can support general Automation System IT administrative functions (i.e. computer setup/restorations, network configurations, routing support, backups, license management, etc.) based on company standards
- Is comfortable with the following; self-starting, takes responsibility of and produces timely work products, demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior, organizational skills, team oriented, shares relationship management, polished written and verbal communication
Regularly works around moving mechanical parts and outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity. Noise level may be loud at times.
Must be able to move objects up to 50 lbs., use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue. Must be able to work in cold temperatures, Constant movement and use of limbs; this position requires good manual dexterity, coordination and stamina. Needs to be able to work in confined spaces.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter specifically noting the position you are applying for to firstname.lastname@example.org
ScanTech Sciences HQ
4940 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.
Norcross, GA 30071
Rio Grande Valley ECP™ Center
6800 South International Parkway
McAllen, TX 78503