Ready to join an exceptional team?
Food Safety Director
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Reports to: TBD
Provide leadership and strategic direction to the STS management, food safety and sanitation teams. Oversee food safety auditing (internal and external) at STS’s multiple locations. Lead or direct efforts to develop and implement best in class food safety systems and processes. Develop, monitor, and analyze key food safety metrics to identify areas of opportunity. Provide expertise and guidance to other STS groups and operations teams in resolving complex food safety questions and challenges. Represent STS and its technology with strategic customers regarding food safety, APHIS compliance, and shelf life extension. Participate in industry outreach activities to ensure that STS and its processes are consistent with the latest science.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop strategic long-range plan for the food safety, sanitation and auditing groups within STS. Lead and direct continued implementation of best in class food safety, sanitation, shelf-life extension and APHIS compliance.
- Organization a strategy to protect the organization in crises.
- Develop methods to verify and validate food safety processes by using the latest science for measuring CCP’s; documenting prerequisite programs; determining operational and performance limits related to food safety; writing and updating food safety procedures.
- Lead third, second and first party audits.
- Oversee investigating customer complaints.
- Collaborating with other members of management, government and customers to improve food safety systems.
- Review food safety documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, internal audits, recalls, corrective actions, and re-validations.
- Lead or direct in-depth food safety and sanitation review of all infrastructure and equipment purchases to ensure that proper design standards are met. Facilitate effective deployment of food safety & sanitation related capital expenses.
- Serve as key STS contact for food safety with strategic customers to ensure customer confidence.
- Lead and direct industry collaboration and outreach activities with key academic institutions, other industry partners and experts to ensure that STS has access to the latest science and technology information and resources.
- Follow all safety and health guidelines relevant to the food industry.
- Direct the educating of management and employees on proper food safety.
- Follow directives and implements various health and safety guidelines that are mandated by the state as well as the company.
- Respond to regulatory, consumer and customer complaints.
- Lead all recall efforts as STS’s recall coordinator.
- Monitor food safety trends and reconsider food safety program as needed.
- Lead all corporate food safety projects and activities.
- Follow all quality system requirements for position and facility operations.
- Comply with and ensure all general safety, OSHA, USDA/APHIS, FDA and State of Texas regulations for position and facility operations.
- Follow all instruction related to Food Defense and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Stop and report to the Food Safety Department any problem or irregular situation they are made aware related to food safety.
- 12+ years of food safety and quality assurance experience in fresh food industry.
- Previous corporate food safety management experience in a company larger that 500 million in revenue
- 10+ years food safety under a GFSI recognized scheme.
- 10+ years food safety environmental monitoring experience.
- Fresh food processing or produce industry-specific experience.
- Knowledge of tools, concepts and methodologies of QA, cGMP, and HAACP.
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory requirements for food processing under Preventive Control for Human Food and the Produce Safety Rule.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems independently and with sound judgment.
- Ability to read, write and perform necessary functions to accurately record data.
- Ability to be travel internationally, work flexible hours, be on call 24 hours as day and be organized.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective channels of communications with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The majority of time performing this job is spent inside a standard office environment. Frequently sits, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, stand and walk; grasp with hands and fingers and lift up to 15 lbs. Occasionally bend, twist, push, pull, clime squat, crawl and kneel. Frequently use computer, telephone, writing instruments. A large part of time is spent in a refrigerated area standing and walking. Temperature in refrigerated area averages 41F. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the operation facility is high. The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet to moderate.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter specifically noting the position you are applying for to firstname.lastname@example.org
ScanTech Sciences HQ
4940 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.
Norcross, GA 30071
Rio Grande Valley ECP™ Center
6800 South International Pkwy
McAllen, TX 78503