Ready to join an exceptional team?
Facility Health Physicist
Location: McAllen, Texas
Reports to: Facility Radiation Safety Officer
Description: The Health Physicist will work with the Radiation Safety Officer to oversee, maintain, test and monitor accelerator equipment and ensure all safety measures are implemented.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Test and monitor radiation exposure detection equipment and devices
- Maintain and upgrade computer systems related to environmental health and safety and health physics
- Prepare and present safety related reports; maintain testing supplies
- Conduct surveys of electron accelerator equipment in regard to radiation safety
- Respond as directed to radiation-related emergencies
- Perform routine Hands-On, X-Ray, general radiation safety training
- Review of Health Physicist (HP) documents, protocols and procedures
- Completion of Radiological Surveys (Dose Rate, Etc.) and proper documentation
- Perform Dosimetry operations and oversight
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Must follow all instructions related to Food Defense, Good Manufacturing Practices and HACCP program
- Must report to the Food Safety Department or direct supervisor any problem or irregular situation at their work location
- Implement and enforce security and food safety standards, policies and programs related to HACCP and third party standards, regulatory standards, food safety training programs, product inspections and any work instructions
- Must be willing to work overtime weekends, holidays and varying shifts as required
- Required to follow all quality system requirements for position and facility operations
- Required to comply with and ensure all general safety, OSHA, USDA/APHIS, FDA and State of Texas regulations for position and facility operations.
- B.S. in Health Physics, Radiological Health, Nuclear/Radiological Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Master’s degree in similar discipline
- 3+ years job related experience
- Experience with ion chamber, survey meters and area monitors are preferred
- Experiences with dosimetry properties and monitoring preferred
- Required working knowledge of radiation safety regulations and guidelines to include HAZMAT and DOT Shipping
- In-depth knowledge of computer systems associated with radiation safety and radiation monitoring equipment
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and customer service skills as well as the ability to interact effectively at all levels and across diverse cultures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates and other employees
- Must have ability to carry out simple and complex instructions and troubleshoot various situations
- Must be able to respond to radiological incidents and emergencies when required (On-call 24-7)
- Must be willing to travel 20% of the time
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee must be able to remain in a stationary position most of the time. The employee must be able to move from location to location, operate, detect, diagnose, remove, install, modify, use and control machinery, equipment and tools in work environment. Constantly positions self to maintain, operate and assess equipment, including underneath, inside, beside and above. Must be able to frequently ascend and descend spiraling staircases and work in confined spaces. Must be able to communicate, detect, discern and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This job includes close vision and adjusting focus to detect, discern, operate and inspect. The employee is regularly exposed to energized electrical gear, moving mechanical parts, tools and vehicles. Is occasionally exposed to low permissible levels of ionizing radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Constant work temperature averages 41F.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter specifically noting the position you are applying for to firstname.lastname@example.org
ScanTech Sciences HQ
4940 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.
Norcross, GA 30071
Rio Grande Valley ECP™ Center
6800 South International Pkwy
McAllen, TX 78503